Sunday, May 1, 2011

Wavin' Flag: "Justice Has Been Done"

Almost ten years ago, our country experienced the deadliest attack on our country, September 11th.  The man behind the horrific tragedy that killed more than 3,000 people was Osama bin Laden.  Today, May 1, marks his death.  He was killed in a firefight inside Pakistan, ending a 10-year manhunt for the world's most wanted terrorist.

Tonight,  as a country, Americans are celebrating his death, relieved, or experiencing other emotions.  Families, friends, neighbors, and fellow Americans gather in recognition as this day will go down in history.  As my family sat around the TV to watch Obama's speech, my dad went and got the American flag my cousin in the Air Force sent us (a flag that had been flown in Afghanistan).  My dad waved it around the room, in excitement.

And everybody will be singing it
And you and I will be singing it
And we all will be singing it
...They'll call me freedom just like a wavin' flag

My family, and thousands of others, watched Obama's speech in relief.  Al-Qaeda's leader is finally dead; Obama commented that "Justice has been done."


1 comment:

  1. This day was truly significant for America and for the rest of the world as well. In Obama's speech, I couldn't help but wondering whether "Justice has been done" is a synonym for revenge has been paid.

    ReplyDelete