Monday, March 14, 2011

Junior Theme: Blog #1

Day 1.  Today was the first official day of Junior Theme.  I have to say, after hearing so much about this project for so long and anticipating for it to come, I was actually kind of excited to get started with it.

I have to say so far I haven't found the process too frustrating or overwhelming.  Maybe I took too narrow of an approach, I don't know, but I was able to come up with a theme I really wanted to focus on pretty quickly.  It all happened when I was brainstorming for topic ideas last week, and looking at books around my house, when I came across Columbine by Dave Cullen.  I immediately thought of focusing on school shootings.  While such rampages are so horrific and devastating, I think it is interesting to study.  I think it would be cool to learn and understand some of the psychology behind it, and what explanations it may provide.  I plan on looking at specific incidents and incorporating some of the psychological explanations to why a teenager would commit such a horrific crime.  Why does such a thing happen?

Day 1 is over, and I have a lot of work to do.  Let the research begin...

1 comment:

  1. Brooks-
    I empathize with you about the "narrow approach" issue because I think I did too! I, too, have been anticipating this project all year and actually read and analyzed a very long book that was perfect for what I wanted to do for the project. Perfect, until it was announced that we couldn't do something with a global focus...
    I've found something else I'm passionate about and I think will prove to be a good research topic. I think you made a great choice with yours because that is something that we at New Trier do not really understand- I'm sure after all of your research you'll be able to educate us all!
    Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete